Re: 26.3, 28; Set Default Font... CMU Typewriter Text

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: 26.3, 28; Set Default Font... CMU Typewriter Text
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 16:59:15 +0100

    VanL> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
    >> OK, but that has nothing to do with FontBackend. If the default font
    >> is not to your liking, you can change it easily enough.

    VanL> From what I can tell, the Cairo and Harbuzz parts in the Emacs has
    VanL> something to do with FontBackend.   They are preferred to xft, maybe.

Your build will either use Cairo, or XFT. You canʼt have both in the
same build at the same time, and messing with FontBackend is just
going to cause you problems later. And yes, Cairo is preferred,
because libXft is unmaintained, which gives rise to all sorts of
display problems with certain fonts.

    >> The delay I think is inevitable when Emacs has to search through lots
    >> of fonts.

    VanL> OK, but where are those loops in the source code?   And can the
initial
    VanL> start phase preload the fonts in memory?   The fonts reside at the X
    VanL> server and client ends.   Why the busy network transfer?

Preload which fonts? Emacs doesnʼt know which fonts itʼs going to need
until it sees what characters itʼs being asked to display.

Robert