Re: saving/restoring text and overlays

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: saving/restoring text and overlays
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 21:23:56 -0400

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 at 16:21, Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca> wrote:

> Well, after poking around a bit, I found this in NEWS.25:

>   *** Enriched Text mode has its support for decoding 'x-display' disabled.

> So it appears that enriched text mode did do what I want, but the way
> Emacs handles display properties is too permissive...
>
> This leads me to ask why the feature was nuked rather than handling it
> like file variables
> (https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/File-Variables.html).

You might want to check NEWS for Emacs 26:

* Changes in Emacs 26.1

** Security vulnerability related to Enriched Text mode is removed.

*** Enriched Text mode does not evaluate Lisp in 'display' properties.
[...] decoded by Enriched Text mode is now disabled by default.  Customize
the new option 'enriched-allow-eval-in-display-props' to a non-nil
value to allow Lisp evaluation in decoded 'display' properties.