Re: Help customising the behaviour of the new Tab Line mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Help customising the behaviour of the new Tab Line mode
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 03:31:17 +0300

> There probably are other things not directly related to Lisp. For example,
> how does the new routine learn that there is a new buffer and the tab bar
> needs to repaint?

This is the easiest part of the task - `tab-line-tabs-function' is called
when a new buffer is created, and it will find the new buffer by comparing
the cached list of previous buffers and the current list of all buffers
(that also includes the new buffer).

> By the way, I tried once package tabbar-ruler, which allows the user to
> reorder the tabs on the old tabbar.el by dragging them with the
> mouse. Unfortunately, I had to disable it because it had too many bugs. But
> is supporting mouse users morally acceptable in Emacs? 8-D

Everything that doesn't violate the GPL is morally acceptable. ;-)

I invite you to create a new feature request on bug-gnu-emacs
where all details could be discussed further.