Re: suggestion for user-emacs-directory

From: Bob Newell
Subject: Re: suggestion for user-emacs-directory
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 18:24:33 -1000

> My 80KB .emacs doesn't rely on any kind of "version" info, yet I use it
> unchanged with Emacs-24, Emacs-25, Emacs-26, Emacs-27, and Emacs-git
> (and occasionally XEmacs).

Recently I've ended up with some Emacs-27 installations on my
Linux machines, but still on Emacs-26 on my Termux
installations.

I have almost no compatibility problems installations with my
init files or packages, with just a little bit of added code
to check a few things.

But I do have problems with .elc incompatibilities, and I've
had to resort to having separate 'elpa' directories based on
version number. It was okay to sync packages and custom code
across installations when they were all the same version, but
not with a mixed setup.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i