Re: memory leaks

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: memory leaks
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 16:14:36 -0400

> The problem is that there is nothing to report except that the RSS is
> growing unreasonably.  In normal operation with all my packages loaded
> emacs wouldn't go beyond around 500M RSS even when running for a week.

The `garbage-collect` command actually can return info about the current
Lisp heap use.  The `memory-usage` package can display it in a more
user-friendly format.

That can be very useful to see if those 500MB belong to the Lisp heap or
to ... something else (typically libraries, like those of the GUI or
those used to display images).

        Stefan