Re: Icomplete + flex completion + tramp - input is 1 character off

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Icomplete + flex completion + tramp - input is 1 character off
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 11:14:21 +0200

"Alex McGrath" <amk@amk.ie> writes:

Hi Alex,

> For example if the directory contains the files
> ```
> Hello
> Hello2
> Howdy
> ```
> when `find-file` is executed and Hello is typed only Hell will have appeared
> in the minibuffer until I enter another character or move the cursor.
>
> I think its probably easier to reproduce on a directory with a lot of files,
> it
> seems to start working like normal again once its narrowed it down to a few
> items.
>
>> And which Emacs/Tramp versions are you using?
>
> I'm using emacs version 27.1 and have also been able to reproduce it on
> the master branch, I'm not sure what version of tramp, but I dont think I
> updated it manually, so whatever is shipped with 27/current master

Well, I have started "/usr/bin/emacs -Q". This is Emacs 27 as shipped by
Fedora 32. Then I have evall'ed the code you gave in your initial
message.

My /usr/bin directory contains ~2400 files, so I've taken it as test
directory. Typing "C-c C-f /ssh::/usr/bin/ts" doesn't show any
completion, because Tramp is not loaded yet. So I type "TAB", and I see
the first offered completion "/ssh::/usr/bin/tset". Typing two
backspaces shows me all completions of "ts". Typing another backspace,
followed by "r", shows me the completions for "tr". It works as
expected, and also typing other characters doesn't show any anomaly.

What shall I do else, in order to see the described effect?

Best regards, Michael.