Re: Modifier Keys and the Archaic Meta Key

From: Francis Belliveau
Subject: Re: Modifier Keys and the Archaic Meta Key
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 16:12:06 -0400

> On Oct 25, 2020, at 09:46, Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> wrote:
>
> Rather than referring to the five principal Modifier Key,
> immediately by Key Mnemonics, it is more useful to have
> a name for them categorised by priority.
>
> The Five Principal Modifier Keys can be called Control,
> Alternate, Hyper, Shift, Super, then associate any mnemonic
> one wants (Ctrl, Ctl) (Meta, Alt, Esc).

It seems to me that only makes sense on your keyboard, not mine.
I have no problem with allowing users the ability to define other modifier
keys, but that would likely require the underlying code to support more
morifier bits that is does currently.

> It is recognised that the Control Modifier Key and the
> Meta Modifier Key are exclusively and most widely used
> Modifier Keys for Emacs Built-In Keybindings.  Consequently
> I group them together, one call it Control, whilst the other
> as Alternate Control.  It makes the use of key much more precise.
>
> Consequently the Alternate Control Modifier Key would simply
> be associated with Alt, but to the key as Priority 2, which
> can be Alt, Esc, etc.

That seems like adding a lot of words with no real value-added.  If there are
no keyboards in existance today with a key labeled Meta, then the meaning is
clear that it is the other modifier key without needing to resort to excessive
verbosity.

> I agree of the utility of possibly more Modifier Keys.  However, sticking
> with officially Five Major Modifier Key for now is adequate.  I customarily
> use Mechanical Keyboards with Colemak Key Variation, and have to rebind
> certain
> Key Sequences that are built-in into Emacs.  I also remap the order of keys
> from (C, s, M) to (s, M, C).  In this way priority increases from right to
> left.  The C Key is mapped to the key immediately to the left of the space bar
> as in the original setup of the Lisp Keyboards.  However I do not simply
> switch
> the Meta and Control Key as many have done, but organise the Keymaps by
> priority
> going outward.

On my keyboard the keys are labeled (center to left) space, command,
alt/option, control, function.
Depending on Emacs version the Meta key seems to change between Command and
Option, I tend to adapt.  However, I am getting to like using option since it
is distinct from the OS use of command. Option seems to be an
application-specific modifier whereas Command has OS utility.  As far as I know
the Function key is an OS-level key that modifies the keystrokes sent to the
application, bnut I could be wrong.

Fran