Re: Little help with defcustom

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Little help with defcustom
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 19:35:20 +0300

* Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> [2020-11-09 16:48]:

> On Mon, Nov 09 2020, Jean Louis wrote:
> > I need little help with defcustom. I would like to define defcustom
> > structure for:
> >
> > Multiple inserts INS DEL:
> >
> > - Server name
> >   - Host name
> >   - User name
> >   - Password
> >   - Port number (integer up to 65535)
> >   - Activated (boolean)

  :type '(repeat
          (list :tag "Dynamical User Sets"
                (string :tag "  Server")
                (string :tag "Set name")
                (string :tag " Node ID"))))

Thank you.

I have succeeded randomly with the above. I know that is not best
style of programming (too nicely said) and I do read documentation but
I do not read enough.

I see that to achieve best formatting I have to pad with spaces those
strings. Is there maybe better way?

> Other than that, it's hard to give you any specific advice because
> you're not saying what you're having trouble with. Have you looked
> at the documentation (info "(elisp) Customization")? There are also
> tons of defcustoms in the Emacs source, so you could take a user
> option in a Customize buffer that looks like what you want and then
> check out how it's defined.

Before sending email I have read documentation and I searching similar
example to what I was thinking should be similar. And did not finish
searching examples. Most similar example was for accounts set in
jabber.el XMPP chat client.

Is there a way to make sure that field is not empty?