Re: Org Capture - Inserting Date and Time

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Org Capture - Inserting Date and Time
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 11:12:32 +0300

* daniela-spit@gmx.it <daniela-spit@gmx.it> [2020-11-28 05:59]:
> Have posted an entry of my Org Capture Setup.  I ask for a date using %^U
> which is
> introduced in the headline.   I would like to also put it in the field
> "Scheduled:".
> Can this be done?
>
> Would like something as below
>
> * MEETING [2020-12-02 Wed 03:55] Walk
>   Scheduled: <2020-12-02 Wed 03:55>
>   With: Pete
>   Entered: <2020-11-28 Sat 03:55>
>

>  ("m" "+ Meeting" entry
>            (file "~/histr/rcl.org")
>            ,(concat
>                "* MEETING %^U %^{Topic}\n"
>                "  Scheduled:\n  With: %^{With}%?\n  Entered: %T"))

What users try to do with Org headlines is basically to assign them
types. Properties are similar to types. Now this headline clearly has
"meeting" type. But it wants to remain headline. After 5 years working
with Org I got it enough and I am transitioning to database
approach. Let us say "chunked" approach as in this definition:

2. collocate, lump, chunk -- (group or chunk together in a certain
order or place side by side)

So instead of me thinking each time of the format for meeting,
adapting, customizing, etc. it is better I give that work to database
and few functions.

Headlines I call hyperlinks that point to hyperdocuments. But
hyperlink itself can be hyperdocument that is hyperlinkable and can
hyperlink to other objects. Notes, meetings, actions like TODO are
hyperdocuments in itself, while files, PDFs, media, WWW are hyperlinks
to external documents.

Each node can be any type of hyperlinks or hyperdocuments. So if I
wish to make "Meeting" then I would add that type to the table
`hlinktypes'.

Then I add simple function to get asked for basics like scheduled
time, people or groups connected and related to the meeting, title of
meeting all similar like in org-capture.

The difference is that meta data has been collected into the database
and I will never think of formatting again neither of templates.

Meetings on my side are often with groups of 2-3 people, sometimes 5
people, sometimes even 30 and more people. Those who are key people I
have to designate to be part of the group. Once that is done the trace
remains that meeting was done. I can search by people's names even if
their names change or get updated.

How would I keep names of all people in the heading? I would need to
write them by hand. This is error prone, I could forget one letter
like in name "Elmedin" I could write "Elemedin" or similar error and
by searching I would not find Elmedin.

Contrary, if contacts are centrally registered and each contact has
its unique ID number and contact's name is displayed on screen as a
button and I click on that button I would get all other relations for
the contact. That is how it works on my side. I like to exclude all
ambiguity.

If I know only first name of the contact as "Joe" then such would be
in the database with its unique ID and would have some other attribute
such as country, city or phone number, or at least the "Date created"
attribute to be some recent, then this "Joe" would be automatically
distinguished from other "Joe"s where I only have the first name due
to its unique ID.

Then need for typing is minimized. Emacs' completing read functions
help me select the person and computer should type it on screen for me
in form of a button. Deciding one time for future spares my time in
future.

We are Org users and we try to keep structured data in Org files which
are not really meant to be structured data.

The person here below have invented similar system with the difference
of it being well structured.

SMOS - A Comprehensive Self-Management System
https://smos.cs-syd.eu/features