RE: Jumping from one position to other position

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Jumping from one position to other position
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 13:29:24 -0800 (PST)

> All the time I have to jump from one function to other function. What
> I used so far is C-SPC C-SPC to leave mark at the point and deactivate
> it. Then I can jump to other places and come back with C-u SPC.
>
> What I would like is to keep somehow automatically source position as
> new mark, when I do C-u SPC at position X that I jump to position Y,
> and then from Y with C-u SPC again back to X.
>
> But Emacs does not work this way.
>
> If anybody have better way of jumping from one place A to place B and
> returning again to place A, and again to place B, let me know.

(`C-SPC') `C-x C-x'  Repeat to move back.
`C-g' do deactivate region.

There are also libraries that give you ways to
browse among the marks, including by choosing
the text surrounding them using completion.
___

Icicles does that, for example, with `C-- C-SPC'.
Completion candidates are the text lines that
include the markers.  (`C-- C-SPC' uses only local
markers, `C-- C-x C-SPC' uses only global markers,
and `C-0 C-SPC' uses all markers).

Because these are multi-commands you can trip among
any number of markers, in any order, during a single
invocation.
___

If you use Isearch+ then you can also have it
set the mark at the start point before searching,
so you can return to it with `C-x C-x' or
`C-u C-SPC'.  You can toggle such mark-setting
anytime during Isearch using `M-s M-SPC'.

(Isearch is often a good way to move around, not
just to search.)
___

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IsearchPlus