Re: Need to know how to goto-column

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Need to know how to goto-column
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2020 09:04:37 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-12-04 11:17]:
> > Yes, I have tried SES and I use Org tables. Alignment of text should
> > not be in tables, just something like
> >
> >  FIELD                    FIELD HERE AND MORE
> >  FIELD AND MORE           FIELD AND MORE TOO
> >  MORE HERE                AND HERE ALSO MORE
>
> Did you look at align.el?  (Sorry if someone already mentioned that
> and I missed it.)

Thank you, I looked, it seem complex for now as I only wish to align
header parts of the displayed text and not body part of the
programmatically displayed text. Something like string based
positioning actually very similar to tabulated list mode.

I guess that key to positioning is `string-width' function

I am looking how to use this function:

(defun tabulated-list-print-col (n col-desc x)