Re: Telling Tramp NOT to use authinfo.gpg

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Telling Tramp NOT to use authinfo.gpg
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2020 10:43:30 +0100

"Gleb Nemshilov" <gleb@fastmail.com> writes:

> Hi Michael!

Hi Gleb,

> Thank you, it works perfectly!
>
> However it changes the prompt message and I understand why it
> happens. The original function has a lot of code, and I couldn't find
> which part is responsible for the prompt message. Is it possible to
> get similar behaviour and see the name of the user/host for which I
> enter the password?

In that case, it might be better if you use connection-local variables
in order to disable auth-sources for Tramp. Something like this:

(connection-local-set-profile-variables
 'remote-without-auth-sources '((auth-sources . nil)))

(connection-local-set-profiles
 '(:application tramp) 'remote-without-auth-sources)

It seems to work with Emacs 27.1, but not in all cases. You might try
it.

I've applied a patch to Tramp to let it work robustly, for all
backends. Available with Tramp 2.5.0, which is scheduled for end of this
year via GNU ELPA.

> Best regards,
> Gleb

Best regards, Michael.