Re: Help with unicode diacritics

From: Stephen Eglen
Subject: Re: Help with unicode diacritics
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 13:43:45 +0000

Thanks Skip.

> I was curious, as I also use Manjaro and Emacs 27.1. I installed JuliaMono
> from the git repo. I had trouble getting it to appear in the xfce4 terminal
> preferences

(I installed via `yay -S ttf-juliamono`)

Thanks for replicating the issue.

> I'm just shooting in the dark though, so I could well be off-base. Are you
> programmatically inserting characters in your buffer in general, or just
> for this example? Does your ā also render badly when inserted via your
> keyboard? (FWIW, it looks fine for me using C-x 8 RET LATIN SMALL LETTER A
> WITH MACRON RET.)

If I do this, then I get a fine-looking a with a overline (ā); the issue
is that I'd like it combined for other letters, e.g. x, and there is no
distinct code point e.g. for "LATIN SMALL LETTER X WITH MACRON".

In the meantime, I've also found this old bug report but that seems to
predate the harfbuzz implementation now in 27.1:

> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2015-07/msg00334.html

Thanks, Stephen