Re: ELPA

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ELPA
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 10:01:46 -0500

>> Hmm.. from which buffer did you run
>> `package-menu-mark-upgrades`?
>>
>> If you put point in the like that says
>>
>>     signal(wrong-type-argument (package-desc nil))
>>
>> in the backtrace buffer and then do:
>>
>>    e (point) RET
>>
>> that should give you the position in the *Packages* buffer
>
> I've now tried several places in *Packages* - the same.

Not sure what you mean "the same", but the value returned by `(point)`
above should not depend on where you are in *Packages* when you do the
`e` or what you do the `U`.  The `U` command will go through the
*Packages* buffer collecting info on each line, and the above `e`
command should tell you at which buffer position it bumped into
a problem.

In any case, I think we need more info about your situation.
E.g. can you reproduce it from `emacs -Q`?
If not, try to reduce your Emacs's init file as much as possible until
you find a recipe to reproduce the problem starting from `emacs -Q`.

        Stefan