Attempt to delete a surrogate minibuffer frame

From: Sébastien Miquel
Subject: Attempt to delete a surrogate minibuffer frame
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 12:09:02 +0100

Hi,

Quite frequently when I try to close a frame with ~(delete-frame)~, I
get an ~(error "Attempt to delete a surrogate minibuffer frame")~.

My workflow is as follows.
 - I use an emacs daemon, and I start frames with ~emacsclient -c~.
 - I mostly open org buffers, which I don't bother to kill.
 - I use several workspaces. I might open a different emacs frame on each
 - I often visit the same org file from different workspaces/frames

When I want to cleanup a workspace, I'll call ~(save-some-buffers
'no-confirm nil)~ and ~(delete-frame)~, which sometimes fails with the
aforementioned error. At this point, my only recourse is to go through
all my workspaces in random order, trying to close each emacs frame.

It is not clear to me what's causing this situation and I have not
found a reliable way to reproduce it.

Can anyone shed some light on what might cause this ? Is there anyway
to bypass this issue ? Couldn't the daemon act as the main surrogate
frame ?

Regards,

--
Sébastien Miquel