Re: Redisplaying text in both display margins?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Redisplaying text in both display margins?
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 17:02:30 +0200

> Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 17:04:34 +1000
> From: "Paul W. Rankin" <pwr@bydasein.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Can I work on the assumption this commit will be included in `(<= 28
> emacs-major-version)'?

Yes.  What is now the master branch will become Emacs 28.1.

> Is there likely to be any workaround or alternate approach to make a
> string display similarly aligned in the left display margin in Emacs <
> 28? I'm trying to keep as much functionality as possible all the way
> back to 24.4.

The only way I know of is to make sure the text on which you put the
display property is never too close to the right edge of the window.
The bug was that the display engine considered the X coordinate of the
buffer text in the text area when it made the decision whether to
decrease the width of the string displayed in the margin.

> (Btw I am off-list, if you can reply-all I would much appreciate it!)

I will try to remember, but I cannot promise, as I always reply only
to the list in this case, without thinking.  (I almost blew it this
time.)