Re: ediff control frame doesn't start with focus

From: Joe Riel
Subject: Re: ediff control frame doesn't start with focus
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 08:53:37 -0800

On Tue, 02 Feb 2021 22:06:02 +0100
Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> Joe Riel <joer@san.rr.com> writes:
>
> > When launching ediff (emacs 26.1) the floating frame that controls the
> > session isn't automatically being selected, I have to do so manually.
> > Is there a way to configure it so that it is selected at the launch?
>
> As far as I recall, the behavior you want is the default behavior, and
> has been for a long time.
>
> The control frame is only not selected if it is already existing and
> iconified, or if `ediff-use-long-help-message' is set to a non-nil
> value, or if your window manager prevents Emacs from setting input
> focus.
>
> Could one of these points be true for you?

I recently upgraded my Debian distro from 9 to 10.  That's when
the behavior changed.  I recall that, some years ago, the default
behavior was for the ediff control frame to not get focus initially.
Then it started working (either with change to Emacs or distro, don't recall).
Now its back to not working [my opinion].

I verified that ediff-use-long-help-messages is nil and that the
frame doesn't already exist.

--
Joe Riel