Re: Proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 06:58:33 +0100

On 2021-02-09, at 01:52, Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > It is certainly a dangerous function to have mapped to such
>> > an easy key to hit
>>
>> Agree 100%:
>>
>>   (put 'suspend-frame 'disabled  t)
>>   (global-unset-key "\C-z")
>>   (global-unset-key "\C-x\C-z")
>>

> In what way is it dangerous? At least on the various Unix and Linux systems
> I've used over the years, the worst that happens is that it hides/iconifies
> the frame. Just reopen it.

It *is* dangerous.  Typing my `C-z whatever' keybinding w/o looking at
the screen and then typing more makes that "more" go to whatever
application the window manager decides to focus on.  In a worst-case
scenario one could be typing e.g. a password into a faceb**k message
(which would be a disaster, though arguably binding `C-z whatever' to
anything that requires subsequent typing of a password is asking for
trouble).

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski