Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 21:15:06 +0000

No, with one control key you have all characters (not just letters, also digits and symbols), plus all C-something, plus all M-something, plus C-M-something. With one control key and its corrsponding meta key you multiply that number by two.

Ah ok, I get what you mean. Does it really make that much of a difference? I'm not sure how many packages you are expecting would add default bindings (or how conflict resolution should happen), but do you really need more than 26?

That reminds me the famous "640 kb should be enough for anyone" ;-) Indeed, 26 letters is not enough. Magit has three global commands, Org-mode has three, and Bookmark+ has three keymaps. With just three packages you've already used 35% of the available keys. I hope you understand that it can't be a long-term solution. Moreover, AFAIU, packages cannot automatically bind their commands to C-c LETTER keys anyway: these keys are strictly reserved for users in their personal configuration files.

It's what most users expect. apt install elpa-magit, C-x g, and voilĂ : Magit works.

How do you come to this conclusion?

It's what Magit (and other similar packages) do. The presupposition of the proposal is that such packages know their users.

I only know of Magit that does it, and as I have said before, I think it is a mistake and unfriendly. But that still doesn't answer the question. Why do you think that users expect it -- not the image that magit has it it's users.

Being a programmer, I can understand your viewpoint. As a user I can't. With M-x load-theme <something>, the user interface changes. What makes keybindings so different from user interface colors that they should absolutely not be touched when a package is loaded, say with M-x global-foobar-mode, and require an explicit manual configuration by the user? Do you also think it's a mistake and unfriendly if a package installs a menu item? If not, what makes keybindings fundamentally different from menu items?