Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 00:01:51 +0000

A theme doesn't activate when it is installed or loaded, but when it is activated. In the same way, I argue, a command shouldn't bind itself until it is bound. Note that I don't insist that this has to be done by editing your init.el (as shown in the patch from a few messages before). I just think that loading a feature/package should attempt to just load the package, without changing the UI/UX of the system.

I fear you're splitting hairs here: the distinction between "install", "load" and "activate" is not important in this discussion, with the current state of affairs neither installing nor loading nor activating the package can automatically create a global key binding. The proposal is an attempt to make that possible.

Do you also think it's a mistake and unfriendly if a package installs a menu item? If not, what makes keybindings fundamentally different from menu items?

Do you mean a menu-bar-mode item? Yes, loading a package still shouldn't change anything, activating a mode should add the menu item

Okay, so if you agree that activating a mode can automatically add a menu bar item, why don't you agree that it should be possible to automatically add a global key binding while activating a mode? Again, what makes key bindings fundamentally different from menu bar items?