Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 15:17:58 +0100

Jean Louis wrote:

> It would be good if packages would be advised how to bind
> keys and to provide alternatives if some of the keys are
> already bound by users. One can use the below function.

Good idea, but like I said, there is a whole section of such
conventions in the docs. I'll look for it...

> key-binding is a built-in function in ‘C source code’.
>
> (key-binding KEY &optional ACCEPT-DEFAULT NO-REMAP POSITION)
>
> Then the function (key-binding (kbd "s-p p")) yields at my
> side with `cf-tabulated-people'. It could be used to detect
> which key is already bound and then the configuration wizard
> could ask or suggest to user how otherwise to bind the keys.

Indeed, the byte compiler, checkdoc and/or the docstrings
should reflect these conventions, and the more interactively,
and the less RTFM/tl;dr, the better.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573