Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 13:00:32 +0000

[I had a hostile reaction here to what I perceived to be a hostile remark from you. If that was a reaction to something I said, I apologise.]

I admit I don't know which is the remark you perceived as a hostile one. Be assured that being hostile wasn't my intention; I try hard to not make any hostile remarks.

Reserving keys for external packages means that Emacs needs some way to deal with conflicting external key bindings, which will inevitably arise.

Yes, and this has been acknowledged from the outset. It's a different problem however, these are conflicts between external packages, not between an external package and Emacs core or between an external package and users' personal bindings.

I don't really see it as a different problem. To me it's immaterial whether there's a conflict between Emacs and an external package, between two external packages or between a user's bindings and an external package; they're all conflicts caused by an external package creating a global key binding.

Under the postulate that external packages should not create any global bindings, it's indeed the same problem ;-)