Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 09:57:43 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-02-15 21:25]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > You seem to have understanding that key binding like
> > Control-Z is for enthusiastic users, those who may report on
> > this mailing list, who identify themselves as "Emacs users",
> > and who would be average users.
>
> ???
>
> > My understanding is that Control-Z is for shell users [...]
>
> Historically I'm sure but now people use terminal multiplexers.

OK, and again you think that terminal multiplexer is equal or similar to
suspending a job?

In terminal multiplexer you may run multiple processes in the same time. But if
you wish to suspend a job that you have invoked from shell, then again you need
to use Control-Z to suspend it.

Other way to suspend job in terminal multiplexer would be to go into other
shell and use top or other way to find the process PID and then kill it with
signal SIGSTOP.

Control-Z gives terminal stop or SIGTSTP to shell straight and without delays
and is used in emergency times.

That multiple programs may run in terminal multiplexer is not equal with
suspending a process straight from the shell.