Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 09:43:30 +0100

Jean Louis wrote:

> If there are 200 million Ubuntu users, 13 million Emacs
> users by using Popularity Contest survey data

Do you have references to these to? Please submit, I'll take
a look...

> I am not working with anybody in the team and still see so
> many reasons of using terminal and editor inside of
> terminal.

Well, let's not get carried away here. Depending on what you
do, the difference between GUI Emacs and a "TUI" Emacs can be
close to zero. Most often it is very small, I'd reckon.
Emacs is a TEXT editor, GUI or no GUI, doesn't change that.

> (defun video2webm-dired ()
>   "Converts any video to webm"
>   (interactive)
>   (let* ((bitrate (read-number "Bitrate: " 300))
>        (videos (dired-get-marked-files))
>        (videos (mapcar 'video-mime-type-p videos))
>        (videos (seq-remove 'null videos))
>        (async-shell-command-buffer 'new-buffer)
>        (command (format "ffmpeg -y -i `?` -c:v libvpx-vp9 -b:v %sk -pass 1
> -passlogfile `?` -speed 4 -c:a libopus -f webm /dev/null -async 1 -vsync
> passthrough && ffmpeg -y -i `?` -c:v libvpx-vp9 -b:v %sk -pass 2 -passlogfile
> `?` -speed 1 -c:a libopus \`?`.webm -async 1 -vsync passthrough && rm
> `?`-0.log;" bitrate bitrate)))
>     (dired-do-async-shell-command command nil videos)))
>
> I could as well use Common Lisp or other programming
> language [...]

Typically one would use a shell script language for that, be
it bash, ksh or zsh. I have tons of video and other multimedia
stuff with zsh [1] But one also think of Python and ... by all
means, even Elisp, as you have just shown. With Lisp, one can
do everything and anything, it is the Pythagorean theorem of
computing...

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.zsh/

--
underground experts united