Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 13:16:34 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-02-14 11:44]:
> Well, let's not get carried away here. Depending on what you
> do, the difference between GUI Emacs and a "TUI" Emacs can be
> close to zero. Most often it is very small, I'd reckon.
> Emacs is a TEXT editor, GUI or no GUI, doesn't change that.

That is what I wish it to be. What is in focus in conversation is
using it on terminal and that is especially useful when accessing
remote applications.

> Typically one would use a shell script language for that, be
> it bash, ksh or zsh. I have tons of video and other multimedia
> stuff with zsh [1] But one also think of Python and ... by all
> means, even Elisp, as you have just shown. With Lisp, one can
> do everything and anything, it is the Pythagorean theorem of
> computing...

Yes. And process runs with small differences, nevertheless
days. Running it with Common Lisp or Emacs Lisp makes no much of
difference. Shell as language is not quite comfortable for PostgreSQL
database processing, may be good for video processing. One video may
be alone 1-2 days of processing length. When interrupted without
possibility to continue, one may lose one day and have to restart
it.

Maybe better way of doing such jobs is to enter them into the queue
and have process handle the queue.