Re: console key tutorial, revised (was: Re: Make Super key work in conso

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: console key tutorial, revised (was: Re: Make Super key work in console - was Re: math (was: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users))
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 12:36:40 +0300

* Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> [2021-02-14 11:38]:
> On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 at 15:06, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
>
> > It means you do not know a solution, I will assume so. We need it. It
> > could liberate thousands of possible key combinations before the
> > keyboard dies on desktop. Rush.
>
> For X, please see Kitty [1]. It is a terminal emulator that implements
> an alternative key encoding scheme [2] which allows to represent all
> modifier keys, all modifier+key combinations, even key releases.
>
> [1]: https://sw.kovidgoyal.net/kitty/
> [2]: https://sw.kovidgoyal.net/kitty/keyboard-protocol.html
>
> There is a “small” issue — you will need to create a terminal-specific
> initialization file [3] in Emacs that defines an ‘input-decode-map’
> that will translate Kitty escape sequences to Emacs representation,
> and you will need to invent a way to ignore key release sequences.
>
> [3]: (info "(elisp) Terminal-Specific")
>
> Last time I tried that, I set up ‘input-decode-map’ so that it
> translates each key release sequence to an empty key sequence. But,
> due to the way prefix key prompting works in Emacs, it clears the echo
> area each time a key is released. Which pretty much kills every status
> message Emacs might produce in response to a key *press*.

In `konsole' terminal emulator the Super key just works. Terminal
emulators are under X, they are not console. I do not see much of
problem in setting Super for some terminal emulators, but that is not
a point for Emacs being compatible both on console and X.

I would like that we find way for Super key to works equally in
console, that means without X, on tty, and over SSH, equally as it
runs inside of the X.

That would liberate many new keys which would be harmonized between
the GUI and console Emacs version.

Jean