Re: console key tutorial, revised (was: Re: Make Super key work in conso

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: console key tutorial, revised (was: Re: Make Super key work in console - was Re: math (was: Re: not good proposal: "C-z <letter>" reserved for users))
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 07:21:46 +0100

Jean Louis wrote:

> In relation of virtual terminal and tty in relation of
> Supera key they are not quite same. `konsole' is virtual
> terminal and allows usage of Super key. For example
> loadkeys, dumpkeys, they don't work in XTerm here as they
> cannot get descriptor of the console. That is not same.
> Correct your text if you find it so after inspection of
> this statement.

OK, added xterm as an explicit example:

  At the very least in the context of this tutorial, VT, tty
  and console all refer to the same thing. But they are not
  the same as any Unix "terminal emulator" (e.g., xterm, rxvt
  etc) as they run in X. For sure, none of this stuff works
  in X.

> and separately, define Super key in tty. At least tell me
> what could be done Yesterday `showkey' have shown to me in
> tty that it is 125. Alright. Now how to make it work
> in Emacs?

The tutorial is supposed to answer that question :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573