Re: Downloaded emails disappear without being listed in group buffer

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Downloaded emails disappear without being listed in group buffer
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 10:11:42 -0800

Joseph Fineman via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> I use Emacs 26.1 (build 1) and Gnus 5.13 under Windows 10.0.  Over the
> last week I have somehow gotten my Gnus into a state such that I
> cannot read incoming email.
>
> I am connected to AOL for email, and Eternal September for newsgroups.
>
> When I start Gnus, it downloads any email that is waiting for me at
> AOL, as expected.  It gives the usual percentages of completion.
> Likewise, the emails disappear from the AOL Web site.
>
> However, it does not list the items in the *Group* buffer.  I cannot
> find where the downloaded emails are actually stored.  The *Group*
> buffer apparently thinks it is connected to Eternal September instead
> of AOL; it is so labeled at the bottom.
>
> Is there a way to correct this?  In particular, is there a way to
> attach the buffer to the proper source by hand?
>
> The content of .authinfo is as follows:

Hi Joe,

I think there are a few misconceptions here. Which servers you're
connecting to, and reading groups from, is determined by the value of
`gnus-select-method' and `gnus-secondary-select-methods' (both defined
in your .gnus.el init file), and `gnus-server-alist' (defined by created
servers in the *Server* buffer).

authinfo only saves log-in information for servers, it doesn't determine
which servers you're connected to.

Try "^" from the *Group* buffer to get into the *Server* buffer -- that
shows what Gnus is actually connecting to. If you're connected to a
desired server, but not seeing the groups you're expecting, you might
need to enter the server's list ("RET") and explicitly subscribe to
those groups.

Hope that gets you closer...

Eric