Downloaded emails disappear without being listed in group buffer

From: Joseph Fineman
Subject: Downloaded emails disappear without being listed in group buffer
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 17:09:51 +0000 (UTC)

I use Emacs 26.1 (build 1) and Gnus 5.13 under Windows 10.0.  Over the
last week I have somehow gotten my Gnus into a state such that I
cannot read incoming email.

I am connected to AOL for email, and Eternal September for newsgroups.

When I start Gnus, it downloads any email that is waiting for me at
AOL, as expected.  It gives the usual percentages of completion.
Likewise, the emails disappear from the AOL Web site.

However, it does not list the items in the *Group* buffer.  I cannot
find where the downloaded emails are actually stored.  The *Group*
buffer apparently thinks it is connected to Eternal September instead
of AOL; it is so labeled at the bottom.

Is there a way to correct this?  In particular, is there a way to
attach the buffer to the proper source by hand?

The content of .authinfo is as follows:
machine smtp.verizon.net port 465 login joe_f password ***** yes
;machine news.motzarella.org login joe_f force yes password *****
;machine news.eternal-september.org login joe_f force yes password *****
Note that Eternal September is commented out.
Thank you for your attention.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?  :||