Re: Strange startup behavior on emacs 26.3 and malfunctioning commands

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Strange startup behavior on emacs 26.3 and malfunctioning commands
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 15:34:19 +0100

On Thu, Feb 25 2021, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:
> I have emacs-28 and emacs-26 installed alongside each other. I use emacs-28
> most of the time, and only
> use emacs-26 occasionally. I download and compile all my emacs packages using
> emacs-28, which starts
> and initializes flawlessly and works exactly as I expect it to work. But,
> emacs-26, which reads the same
> init files and uses the same packages as emacs-28 encounters errors like:

Byte code isn't guaranteed to be backwards compatible, so if you load byte code
generated by Emacs 28 into Emacs 26, you're bound to get errors.

Forward compatibility is much better, AFAIK, so you should be able to get
things working if you compile your packages with Emacs 26. If it were me,
however, I would give each Emacs its own space. If Elpa packages are the only
problem, you probably only need to set `package-user-dir` depending on the major
version, something you can do in your init file.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments