Re: Strange startup behavior on emacs 26.3 and malfunctioning commands

From: Carlo Tambuatco
Subject: Re: Strange startup behavior on emacs 26.3 and malfunctioning commands
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 12:14:31 -0500

> On Feb 25, 2021, at 9:39 AM, TRS-80 <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name> wrote:
>
> On 2021-02-25 09:14, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:
>> I have emacs-28 and emacs-26 installed alongside each other. I use
>> emacs-28 most of the time, and only
>> use emacs-26 occasionally. I download and compile all my emacs
>> packages using emacs-28, which starts
>> and initializes flawlessly and works exactly as I expect it to work.
>> But, emacs-26, which reads the same
>> init files and uses the same packages as emacs-28 encounters errors like:
>> Transient error: (wrong-number-of-arguments (1 . 1) 2)
>> Error during file deserialization: (wrong-number-of-arguments (1 . 1)
>> 2) [2 times]
>> File mode specification error: (wrong-number-of-arguments (1 . 1) 2) [26
>> times]
>> etc…
>> during startup.
>> Whenever I run a basic command like ‘find-files’, which is maped to
>> ‘helm-find-files’ because I use
>> helm, I keep getting the error:
>> transient--pp-to-file: Wrong number of arguments: (1 . 1), 2
>> Even when I try closing emacs using C-x C-c, I get the error:
>> Wrong number of arguments: (1 . 1), 2
>> I don’t know what is going on, apologies if I have trouble explaining
>> what is going on here.
>
> Sounds like one or more functions changed their required arguments
> between 26 and 28.  You would probably need to dig in a little more to
> get some more specifics.  If you are not inclined towards that, it's
> probably easiest just to stop using 26 altogether (unless there is
> some compelling reason you must keep using it).

Well, I mostly keep emacs-26 around for clojure development. The clojure
development packages I installed ie: CIDER, sesman, clojure-mode, do not
seem to be fully supported by emacs-28. They are not fully featured unless
I use emacs-26. It’s like whoever developed them did not intend them
to be forward compatible.