Re: Finding last *Async Shell Command* buffer?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Finding last *Async Shell Command* buffer?
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 22:59:35 +0100

Jean Louis wrote:

>> Computers are deterministic machines, they don't understand
>> anything. They carry out instructions, that's all.
>
> Fundamentally yes.

By definition.

> However, the more or the better they are programmed the more
> autonomic they may become, so that we do not need to keep
> coding.

What will we then do all days?

But in the future computers will do programming as well if it
continues like that, yes.

> That was direction of coding of 20th century, and we are now
> in 2021. We are late with artificial
> intelligence development.

AI was big in the 70s as well. Because of the tree structure
and data/code blend that Lisp offers, it had an edge there.
You could traverse the trees in different ways, rotate
subtrees, and do stuff like that to, for example, make it
resemble human creativity and intuition. But boil it down, it
was just another way of carry out the same old computation.
A more elegant, cool, and inspiring way perhaps, but still.
The computer remained - a computer.

AI can excel at very simple games, for example chess, which
is well defined and easy to model.

But an AI cannot play ice hockey. It cannot run a bicycle
repair shop or chop wood. Because that's much more difficult!
Put a monitor to your brain when you play ice hockey or
repair bikes. Do the same thing when you play chess. The part
of the brain that is involved when playing chess is a joke.
Go outdoors and talk to a pretty girl. It is more involved.
Chess you can do when you get behind bars. I'm not impressed
by that. So why should I be impressed by the computer
doing it?

In the 60s-70s you could write a PhD thesis about a program
playing chess. Today that would be a big laugh. It is just
a little algorithm that plays chess. As we say, "utvecklingen
har gått framåt" (development has moved forward)

But with AI, what I've seen not so much.

I'd rather take control of the Russian subs and fire off some
nukes at my friend's houses. Ought to teach them not to borrow
my tools never to return them.

So bottom line, if you are here, there is no excuse not trying
to be the best Emacs programmer version of yourself.
Nonchalant code waiting for the AI to help - DNC.

PS. No disrespect to any AI programmer reading this.
    Because THAT involves a lot of brain activity. DS.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal