Re: What is 0.01 here not 0.01 here 0.009999999999999?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: What is 0.01 here not 0.01 here 0.009999999999999?
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 08:19:41 +0300

* Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> [2021-04-03 07:12]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>

> > results with 10.12 and not something else. Results are used for
> > automated version numbers (in some cases).
>
> Don't use floating points for version number. Use integers, One for each
> number: major, minor and revision. You can either defvar them each or
> use a vector or a list. You can them just simply increment the part you
> need in your revision control and use (format "%s.%s.%s" major minor
> revions) to print them to a string.

You mentioned one good way of defining revision versions. There is a
column in the table named `vc_revision' which is meant for author to
designate revision number. Some author may follow your advise
and enter revision version manually. Decision will not be
automatic. Somebody has to decide for major about major, minor and
revision, and is then free to enter it. Prompt may show how previous
version number looks like, and user may modify it.

Incrementing floating point is a feature for future user (who knows if
anybody), it will not increment in case of %s.%s.%s formatting.

Personally I do not need version numbers, but Emacs package needs
it. Presentation as floating point is I think, but not so sure, one of
possibilities.

My function is not quite compatible with `version-to-list'.

(version-to-list "10.02") → (10 2)
(version-to-list "10.11") → (10 11)
(version-to-list "10.2.8") → (10 2 8)
(version-to-list "10.02.08") → (10 2 8)

I don't think automatic incrementing is necessary, it will remain just
for the one floating presentation.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns