Performance of `re-search-backward' vs `re-search-forward'

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Performance of `re-search-backward' vs `re-search-forward'
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 07:38:41 +0200

Hi all,

I seem to (very vaguely) remember reading that `re-search-backward' is
significantly slower than `re-search-forward'.  However, I can't find
anything about it in the docstring (nor in the Elisp reference) now.  Am
I even correct?  If so, is it documented anywhere?  (It would be fine
with me if it weren't, this is not to say that the docs are buggy
without mentioning it, I'm just curious.)

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl