Re: outline-heading-alist for elisp using ";; * "

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: outline-heading-alist for elisp using ";; * "
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 21:35:07 +0700

On Wed, 12 May 2021 at 19:43, Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> wrote:

> Some have been trying to set outline-heading-alist fol/lowing the code in
> "texinfo.el".
> I have also tried to set it up but have not been successful.

There is a group of people on this list, including you,
michael-franzese, pietru, steve-humphreys, and wael-zwaiter, who seem
to be working on a common project, have various difficulties, and post
requests for assistance that are hard to follow through.

You state an approach (“I have tried this…”), followed by something
general like “I have not been successful” or “I encountered
difficulties” or “I need assistance”, but it is not readily clear how
to assist you. So you get unhelpful answers or no answers at all.

The standard assistance request form includes:

* Your software version(s) and operating system (if you feel it might
be relevant). This is important because if you are using older
software, you won’t be able to use some solutions, or people will say
it just works on newer versions.
* What high-level problem you are trying to solve. This is important
because sometimes people will say your approach is wrong and point you
at a better way to solve it.
* How you are trying to solve it.
* What concrete result you expected.
* What concrete result you observe instead.

Your above request could look like:

===
I am on GNU/Linux, running Emacs 27.1.

I have a variable ‘texinfo-section-list’ whose value is:

    ((chapter 2) (section 3) (subsection 4) (subsubsection 5)
     (unnumbered 2) (unnumberedsec 3) (unnumberedsubsec 4)
(unnumberedsubsubsec 5)
     (mychapter 2) (mysection 3) (mysubsection 4))

(note my custom section macros).

I want to set up Emacs so that, when I open a texinfo file,
outline-minor-mode is enabled and configured to recognize section
macros listed in ‘texinfo-section-list’ as headings.

To that end, I’m trying this:

    (defun my-texinfo-outline ()
      (setq-local outline-heading-alist
        (mapcar (lambda (x) (cons (concat "@" (car x)) (cadr x)))
                texinfo-section-list))
      (setq-local outline-regexp
        (concat (regexp-opt (mapcar 'car outline-heading-alist) t)
                "\\>")))

    (add-hook 'texinfo-mode-hook #'my-texinfo-outline)

When I open the attached texinfo file, put point on line 42 and press
C-c @ C-d (outline-hide-subtree), I expect the whole section up to
line 68 to be hidden but not further lines, because line 69 has a
custom section header; but Emacs hides everything up to line 86.
===

(and don’t forget to actually attach a sample file, as short as
possible to demonstrate the problem).