Don't think Emacs package may be proprietary

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Don't think Emacs package may be proprietary
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 16:31:54 +0200

> Sent: Monday, May 24, 2021 at 2:03 AM
> From: "Jean Louis" <bugs@gnu.support>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, moasenwood@zoho.eu
> Subject: Re: Don't think Emacs package may be proprietary
>
> * Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2021-05-23 16:54]:
> > I can make an proprietary emacs package without using any free
> > software.
>
> Of course you can make. We talk hypothetically. You can practically
> make it and in that case it is violation of GPL3+.

If you don't use any code released under the GPL, you will not be violating the
GPL.
Using emacs does not stop you from calling some functionality released under a
proprietary
license.

> > I just cannot use code released with a free software license.
>
> That I don't understand.

Suppose I write a major mode under the Code Project Open License or the NASA
Open Source
Agreement (two terrible licenses) and include some code from org-mode.  You
cannot do that
because that would be a violation of the GPL.  Otherwise, you can write your
own code and
distribute it under the aforementioned proprietary licenses.  Then use emacs
and include
the file implementing the major mode file.  There would be no violation.