Re: Use Emacs as the IDE for Wolfram Mathematica.

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Use Emacs as the IDE for Wolfram Mathematica.
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 14:54:51 +0300

* Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2021-05-24 14:43]:
> > Otherwise you cannot make proprietary program combined with GPL-ed
> > program.
>
> Correct, only when combined.

It is combined even if not distributed together. You are combining
program when one program needs the other one for proper functions.

Thus, what people call "init files" or "configuration files" are
actually programs that modify Emacs and are bound to GPL and have to
be licensed properly.

> > People can do anything, we speak what is allowed by the license, now
> > what one can do. The license of a GPL program does not allow making a
> > combined program with it and not license it under same terms.
>
> I was not talking about combined programs.  I was discussing writing
> a package distributed separately with a proprietary license.

If that package runs without modification of Emacs software, it does
not modify Emacs, it is just data that is interpreted. It also cannot
require any of GPL libraries that are GPL licensed. However, majority
of packages are written with the purpose to modify Emacs. Not to use
Emacs Lisp solely for its own purposes.

If you write such code, under conditions not to modify Emacs, not to
use GPL-ed libraries, then it could be proprietary. Otherwise legally
it cannot be. Question is why would anybody use Emacs to write such
interpreted programs when there are many other programming languages
with MIT licensed libraries.

MIT licensed libraries one can use how one wants, GPL-ed no.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/