Re: Ideas on Hypertext systems in Emacs needed

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Ideas on Hypertext systems in Emacs needed
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 10:08:35 +0300

* Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs@gmail.com> [2021-06-08 03:43]:
> English is not my first language, but to me "use whatever everyone
> else is using" seems to imply "don't use niche tools that are used by
> small groups of very enthusiastic hackers that love them very much".
>
> I have the impression that Jean Louis is looking for things that are
> nice to use AND to hack.

WWW is good informational hypertext system though it is passive, it is
not dynamic. Users can see information, cannot build upon it (unless
allowed like in Wikipedia).

GNU Hyperbole and eev, Org, HTML, Texinfo are hypertext systems if
text is created with it. They are not as integrated.

Major facility that I need in each of those in Emacs is recognition or
indexing of available hyperlinks in a document and relational
hyperlink inserting:

- indexing of available hyperlinks in documents would mean to captures
  and record relations between the document and the hyperlink. That
  would require system of regular expression harvesting of all
  hyperlinks in a document so that such can be listed in separate
  piece of information. As this quickly separates the referenced links
  and provide ability for bidirectional link. A referenced document
  can know other documents referencing to it. Indexing functions would
  solve the proble that such information is not available. In similar
  way WWW search engines ind

- Relational hyperlink inserting would keep track of hyperlinks at
  moment they are inserted. Because of the nature of systems we have
  that requires users' attention. Would we build from beginning
  structural lists of available hyperlinks that would not need users'
  attention. Practically it would or should be "hooked" so that when
  user wish to insert a hyperlink the facility must be there to first:
  verify that hyperlink is indexed beforehand, and to remember that
  hyperlink is inserted into which document. Document A would have
  hyperlink to document B, but document B would know that document A
  has a hyperlink to it. Jumping from A to B is possible as usual, but
  jumping from B to A would be enabled as well.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman