Re: Documentation

From: pillule
Subject: Re: Documentation
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 13:25:13 +0200

Brandon Taylor <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> writes:

I’m currently working on a simple .texi file which talks about how end users, if they so desire, can help patients in India who are struggling to recover from the current COVID-19 pandemic. Would it be worthwhile to include such a document in Emacs’ help files, and if so, where in the repository would
be the best place to put it?

Brandon Taylor

Hi Brandon,

Please don't take the following as an authoritative response, I am not a core developer ;

If I understand well, what you are referring by ‘help files’ are Info manuals. There are many Info manuals that are not directly related to Emacs. On a debian OS you can search for them and install them without Emacs. Eg one among many others, the package jargon that is described as :

This is the Jargon File, a comprehensive compendium of hacker slang illuminating many aspects of hackish tradition, folklore, and humor.
The file is in info format, but includes an HTML page with links
to the home site.

Installing this package, does not even update the info directory available from Emacs. Also Emacs does not have the monopoly of Info manuals, there is a shell command `info' that can be used to open a Info manual from a terminal (but it's better with emacs ;).

Even useful Info manuals that are related to programming are not in the Emacs repository (eg : the bash manual, the core-utils manual).

So to answer you question; no, I don't think that your .texi file belong to the Emacs repository because it does not seems directly related to Emacs. It can be distributed by many ways (on Internet, on GNU/Linux packages repositories), and exported in also others formats that an Info manual such as html etc.

But I maybe wrong, and if you want to request this addition on the emacs repository, the appropriate place to do so is to fill a bug report with M-x report-emacs-bug or via the emacs-bug mailing list.