Re: How to revert buffer from "Save file?" prompt?

From: Sergey Organov
Subject: Re: How to revert buffer from "Save file?" prompt?
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 20:15:28 +0300

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 18:18:46 +0300
>>
>> > Why do you need to revert?  If you answer 'n' (= NO), the compilation
>> > will use the version on disk, without saving your edits.  You can
>> > later revert the buffer, but that's a separate operation.
>>
>> Yes, and that's exactly the problem. It will ask me again and again
>> every time I compile. Annoying as hell.
>
> Do you want to compile the file, or do you want to revert it?

I want to compile, and that obviously involves some files. The buffer in
question could be entirely unrelated to the compilation, or it could be
related, it doesn't matter for the issue at hand.

> These are two orthogonal things, so it sounds strange to me that you
> seem to use "M-x compile" as the means to find all the changes buffers
> and revert them.

It's not the means to find such buffers, it's just that I often notice
such buffers when compiling or switching desktops, or leaving emacs. But
on exit there is at least final "exit anyway" option that discards
changes.

>> > IOW, if all you want is to revert the buffer _without_ compiling, just
>> > type C-g to abort "M-x compile" and then revert.
>>
>> No, I want to compile, and I don't need the changes in some buffer(s)
>> anymore.
>
> Then how come you left those buffers modified?  And what does that
> have to do with compilation?

I left those buffers modified, sorry, my mistake. Maybe I thought I'll
need the modification, and now I see I don't anymore.

Now otherwise unrelated compilation annoyingly asks me every time if I
want to save these buffers. No, I don't!

>> Probably something like revert-some-buffers (similar to
>> save-some-buffer) would help as well, but a feature to discard changes
>> from the "save file" prompt would be definitely more helpful.
>
> Then this isn't about "M-x compile", right?  It's about being able to
> revert some of the modified buffers, either as a separate command, or
> as part of "C-x s".  Right?

Right, "M-x compile" is just an example where the lack of feature gets
most annoying. As for "C-x s", it could run the would-be function with
the "revert" feature disabled, if it makes more sense.

>> As I've asked in another mail: is there a practical way to add
>> keybindings to this prompt? I'd then opt for adding "C-M-g: revert the
>> buffer" and be finally done with it.
>
> See save-some-buffers-action-alist.

Will check, thanks!

-- Sergey Organov