Re: [SOLVED with `eval']: Why I cannot use this variable in macro call f

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [SOLVED with `eval']: Why I cannot use this variable in macro call from function?
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 22:03:12 +0200

On Tue, Jun 08, 2021 at 10:27:04PM +0300, Jean Louis wrote:
> Thanks Tomas.

Glad I could help :)

> I know you have sharp mind.

Don't let apperances mis-lead you...

>   Is there a way to dynamically
> generate global variable based on a string and use it as history?
>
> It's interesting how this works:
>
> (defmacro rcd-gen-defvar (name description)
>   `(defvar ,(intern name) nil ,description))
>
> Now I can repeat and use the below and it will remember history:
>
> (read-from-minibuffer "Tell me: " nil nil nil (rcd-gen-defvar "my-history"
> "This is history"))
>
> I was expecting it NOT to work as I was expecting `defvar' to be
> repeated and to nullify the value, but it does not.

[rest snipped]

Sorry, Jean Louis, I can't understand what you are after.
Even after reading you mail a couple of times.

Sometimes (but I'm not sure either), I have the impression
that you try to do too many things at once. Try to break them
down into little pieces to give your interlocutors at least
a small chance.

You want to define a variable whose name you can only know
at run time? Did I understand that correctly?

Cheers
 - t