Re: [SOLVED with `eval']: Why I cannot use this variable in macro call f

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [SOLVED with `eval']: Why I cannot use this variable in macro call from function?
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 22:23:26 +0200

On Tue, Jun 08, 2021 at 11:12:26PM +0300, Jean Louis wrote:

[it seems to be your mailer which is setting up Drew in
the mail-followup-to: I exchanged the recipient]

> * tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> [2021-06-08 23:04]:
> > You want to define a variable whose name you can only know
> > at run time? Did I understand that correctly?
>
> Exactly.

OK. Since you can't go back in time, you can set the variable
for a part of the program which isn't yet compiled. Otherwise
you'd have to "un-compile" your program first, right?

>                 The dynamic history variable in this case.

One step at a time.

> - The database table "notes" references the table "people"
>
> - User edits the table "notes" and wish to re-assign the note to
>   another person; pressing up down brings back the history items for
>   that specific table, and the variable becomes automatically defined
>   as `people-history'
>
> - now imagine hundreds of such variables and they grow each week
>   dynamically whenever some new table gets added;
>
> Larger problem is the mixed history causes problems, so this way there
> is no global history.

...but I have the hunch that a variable might not be the right
tool here. It smells of "dictionary" (hash or something). But
I might be wrong.

Cheers
 - t