Re: Eglot Failed to completion for commands defined in specified loaded

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: Eglot Failed to completion for commands defined in specified loaded packages for auctex.
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 12:54:32 +0100

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Then I open the following tex document in Emacs
>>
>> ```
>> \documentclass{paper}
>> \usepackage{braket}
>> \begin{document}
>>    Some testing comes here.
>> \end{document}
>> ```
>>
>> and enable Eglot (M-x eglot), but I find that Eglot Failed to do the
>> completion for commands defined in specified loaded packages for
>> auctex. But TeXstudio doesn't have this problem.

I'm guessing that's because your LSP server isn't configured or able to
do that.

> Do you know what Eglot is?  It's an LSP (Language Server Protocol)
> client which requests completions, documentation, etc. from an LSP
> server.  I doubt there is a LaTeX LSP server.

I successfully use Eglot with Digestif[1].  I would try TexLab[2] that
Joost mentioned as well but it's not as easy for me to compile it given
the version of Rust on Debian.

[1]: https://github.com/astoff/digestif
[2]: https://github.com/latex-lsp/texlab

> You can use company-mode with capf (and dabbrev) backend with auctex to
> get completion popups, see this screenshot:
>
> That should work out of the box with no additional packages except for
> company and then enabling `company-mode' in your LaTeX buffer.

Eglot also works OOTB, except for one minor detail: I have to remap
AUCTeX's binding of TeX-complete-symbol back to the default
completion-at-point, which Eglot hooks into.

--
Basil