Re: [OFFTOPIC] Semver

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC] Semver
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 18:29:53 +0200

Yuri Khan wrote:

> Of course, from the maintainer’s side, the situation is
> reversed: “Woo! 57.0, we can finally drop that legacy API
> we’ve had to support for the last several years, and that
> has been holding us back from refactoring a whole subsystem
> because that would break every user of that API!”

OK, good point, I didn't think of that, well, I hope the
devels write software because they enjoy it, true, but more
than that that they do it for the users - but then remember
that the devel is also the user a lot of the time, maybe more
so than the regular user, often. It is like collective egoism,
which is good.

But because there are more users than developers, when in
doubt one should try to make the users happy, even with small
things like the version number!

No, ha j/k :) I just don't feel stoked about the semantic
x.y.z anymore - but it was an interesting concept to learn
about, thank you guys.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal