outline-minor-mode-highlight really weird

From: lisa-asket
Subject: outline-minor-mode-highlight really weird
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 09:27:38 +0200 (CEST)

From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: outline-minor-mode-highlight really weird
Date: 15/07/2021 09:12:13 Europe/Paris

> From: lisa-asket@perso.be
> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 07:36:30 +0200 (CEST)
>
> In outline-minor-mode, I do not understand what it means to have
>
> (setq outline-minor-mode-highlight t)
>
> Documentation says that `t` setting highlights separately from major mode,
> working when headings do not conflict with major-mode.
>
> How can headings  conflict with major modes, I ask.

>Since many major modes use font-lock to highlight parts of the buffer
>text, outline-minor-mode-highlight could conflict with that if it
>changes those highlighted parts.

If there is a mode with a function that highlights some matching lines, what

conflict can you get?  For instance if I make my own `outline-regexp` how

can it conflict with the major made?

With my own `outline-regexp`, the values for outline-minor-mode-highlight

never highlight the levels with different colours.

The only way is to use

(setq outline-minor-mode-highlight 'override)