Re: changing font and font size in terminal emacs-27.2

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: Re: changing font and font size in terminal emacs-27.2
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2021 21:35:52 +0530

On Sat, Aug 07 2021,Colin Baxter wrote:

[snipped 28 lines]

> XTerm*faceName: Cascadia Mono
> XTerm*faceSize: 12
>
> in my ~/.Xdefaults, I can get launch "emacs -nw" in an xterm with size
> 12 font.
>
> I notice that you also have "emacs.font: DejaVu Sans Mono-12" in your
> ~/.Xdefaults. I wonder if this is interfering when you run emacs in a
> terminal? Have your tried commenting out "emacs.font: DejaVu Sans
> Mono-12"? Also you seem to be using emacs -nox, have you tried emacs -nw
> instead? It may be the latter will work without commenting out the
> reference to the emacs font. Try both.

After a series of uncoordinated addled testing, I think I sussed out
the following settings.

Removed font stuff from emacs.xresources and kept only the Xterm font spec
Tested in xterm and confirmed that it works
it works for both Emacs-nox and Emacs -nw(what's the difference?)

So, thanks for that.

I omitted to mention that I run WSL Ubuntu 20.04 with GWSL(X server)
and use MS terminal as the initial terminal.  MS terminal has its own
setting for font and size which seem to be overriding whatever I was
doing with the unrelated .Xresources tinkering. Rather, MS terminal
was not readiing anything that I was doing to the .X resource files.
Only when I launch xterm from within MS terminal was it being read.
Coupled with the fact, sometimes I forget to do `xrdb -load`, I was
getting inconsistent results (hence addled).

It took a combination of @Colin's and @Yuri's messages to clear things
up.

Many thanks to both.

sivaram