Re: Reviving tablature-mode.el -- license issue?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Reviving tablature-mode.el -- license issue?
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 08:09:45 +0000

Qiantan Hong <qhong@mit.edu> writes:

> I’ve been always wanting a good music notation software in Emacs.
> I just came across this
> https://gist.github.com/mjkramer/171ff6af9c66404a81e38d2015848903
> (for tab, not standard notation, but ok tab is much more suitable for plain
> text workflow anyway)
> It’s a package from 1993 and seems that it did lots of non trivial work,
> however there’s no license notice and I don’t know if it’s possible to pick
> up the development.

Doesn't it say:

        ;; This code is released into the public domain without any express or
implied
        ;; warranty.  The author accepts no responsibility for any consequences
        ;; arising from its use.

        ;; This code may be distributed and modified in any way; however, please
        ;; retain notice of original authorship in this and any derivative work.

It might not suffice in court, but the author implies that any use is
ok.

> Do you have any idea? Do you find this package anywhere else with some
> license or
> anyone know the author?

I could only find copies of the same file on some other sites, but
nothing different. Maybe try contacting the author, on the chance that
the email address is still valid.

--
        Philip Kaludercic