Re: [External] : Re: Emacs: adding 1 to every number made of 2 digits in

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Emacs: adding 1 to every number made of 2 digits inside a marked region.
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 04:34:41 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:

>>> Just record the keystrokes you use to make one change,
>>> then replay the recording.
>>
>> Poor man's programming, don't encourage him to start with
>> that :)
>
> Poor man tools are sometimes useful for poor and rich men.
>
> 1. Even for someone with good Elisp skills, a keyboard macro
>    is sometimes preferable as a one-off. My guess is that
>    most uses of keyboard macros are for one-off tasks.

Yes, but you don't know that and in my experience one-off
tasks are just one-off the first time you do them ...

Even if the problem don't reappear exactly the same way -
which it often does - a variation of the problem is very
likely to and then you can just provide other arguments and/or
slightly modify your Elisp ...

And note that the distance between the variations can be quite
big and this does not translate linearly to how much you have
to change your Elisp. On the contrary, not the least since
a lot of Elisp time (and programming time in general) is just
routinely writing the same old stuff over and over.
So interestingly, the more Elisp you write, the less you have
to :)

> 2. Getting used to using keyboard macros can help someone
>    get to know other Emacs features and ways to use Emacs.
>    Telling someone not to use them is like telling them not
>    to use arrow keys.

But What's wrong with telling people that?

Okay, bad example ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal