Re: select tab by name regardless of which frame it's on?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: select tab by name regardless of which frame it's on?
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 14:29:42 -0400

> Hello all,
>
> I'm using tab-bar-mode with exwm so each monitor corresponds to a
> separate frame and therefore has its own set of tabs.
>
> I can switch between tabs with tab-bar-select-tab-by-name within a given
> frame/monitor but I would love to be able to switch to a tab on any
> monitor regardless of which frame is active.  Is this possible?

It should be possible but I don't see anything already existing
providing that functionality: tab-bar.el deals only with frame-local
tabs I think. You'd have to write your own function, looping over
frames, gathering tab names for each frame and adding them to the
completion list. Choosing a tab would involve checking the frame of
the selected tab and selecting that frame (if different), before
selecting the tab.

"Just a small matter of programming" :-)

A cursory search around the interwebs did not uncover anything
promising.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler