Re: How to rename files to numbers in Eshell?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to rename files to numbers in Eshell?
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 23:34:49 +0200

Jean Louis wrote:

> Just that for my needs speed does not matter much.
> What really matters is the integration opportunity that
> Emacs offers. We don't have our computing so prepared to be
> fully integrated, but we have got opportunities to make
> it so.

I agree that's super important but I thought that was possible
with SLIME. Maybe it is theoretically, maybe it is in practice
as well only I didn't crack the code ... but no, never came
close to the Elisp interactive feel.

> We don't have file sharing well integrated in Emacs.
> For example there is no quick Dired function to email a file
> or set of files.

Easy enough to fix - see source last - but I don't know why it
isn't there to begin with. either political reasons or no one
did it.

> Back to Common Lisp. It is even less integrated for basic
> needs. In Emacs I can mark files and share them to other
> device or use functions to share them by email or publish
> files on remote devices. In Common Lisp I have to program
> everything myself, too much of it. Marking of files I would
> need to program myself. Taking care of even lower
> level functions.

It is like that, is it? Or did you overlook some key packages
in that field perhaps? I don't think so necessarily but it is
possible ...

> Everything can be done with Common Lisp and Scheme, but it
> is more work with Common Lisp as compared to Emacs once user
> understands how much of it is already close to fingertips.

How much Elisp is there around compared to all CL and all
Scheme and all other Lisp diagrams? Pie chart!

>> To translate either Perl or Python to Elisp to I would
>> _never_ do ...
>
> I have done that from Perl to Common Lisp, from Perl to
> Emacs Lisp.

Yeah, this whole translating stuff is foreign to me ... even
if I did it I would call it a re-implementation or second
attempt rather than a "translation"

> There is fundamental principle that almost anything we do on
> computer is related to writing, thus editing. In your
> example you are mentioning it without notice, you have to
> edit and type text in xterm and within tmux.

Well, I know I type what I think is "a lot" but what the Jonas
Svensson of Sweden does and does not with his computer, i have
no clue. so while I don't think he "edits" all day and night
long, rather he uses the computers with GUIs only.

;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
;;;
;;; this file:
;;;   http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/emacs-init/gnus/mail-to-many.el
;;;   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/gnus/mail-to-many.el

(require 'gnus-msg)
(require 'message)

(defun send-mail-to-many (to-list subject body)
  (dolist (to to-list)
    (send-mail-to to subject body) ))

(defun send-mail-to (to subject body)
  (gnus-post-news 'post "")
  (message-goto-to)       (insert to)
  (message-goto-subject)  (insert subject)
  (message-goto-body)     (insert body)
  (message-send-and-exit) )

(provide 'mail-to-many)

--